Friday, November 30, 2007

Recommended Reading: Thinking Practical Shooting

TPS Cover
For most complex activities, the learning curve is steep and riddled with plenty of chances to strike off in the wrong direction. "Back in the day" (which, for our purposes here, means pre-2005), most of us picked our way up the curve through trial and error, question and answer, and lots of fits and starts as we discovered that we were on a dead-end path. Things like match preparation, understanding the implications of the scoring system, maintenance schedule for our equipment, stage and match tactics - all of these things were passed down through word of mouth, and many times learned through hard experience.

In 2005, author and international top shooter Saul Kirsch changed all of that with the release of his book Thinking Practical Shooting (well, changed it for those who bothered to read it and digest it, anyway). If I'd had this book in 1992, when I started shooting IPSC, it would have saved me a lot of time and energy. Saul's giving away all the "secrets", and for that reason, I highly recommend Thinking Practical Shooting as a "must read".

To read the whole review, hit the DR Performance Shooting main site!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is this book really that good? I have been kicking around whether I should get this book before I head off to the desert. Ahhh Screw it! I am getting it!

DaveRe said...

Yeah, it really is that good. Saul's got a pretty good handle on the game, and he gets a good portion of it across. I wouldn't say absolutely everything I can possibly think of is in there... but its pretty complete. In fact, I'm getting ready to read through it again - just rereading some things to write my review proved to be a good reminder of some stuff...

Just do it - buy it, read it... and let me know what you think ;)