Thursday, November 29, 2007

The end of Winter Break



With the season opener - the 2008 Florida Open - coming up fast in two months, its time to start dusting off the gear, running drills, and generally getting things back in order after a well deserved Winter Break. With a sport that seems to have no well defined "off season" (as opposed to, say, baseball, or football), it might be curious to some folks why you'd really want to take a break. I mean, the next big match is always right around the corner, right? And what do you do with that time off anyway? Doesn't that mean a lot more work to get ready when you're done slacking off??

Let's take a look at why taking a little vacation from our favorite obsession can actually mean an improvement in performance level, and help avoid everyone's favorite condition: burn out.

Read the rest of the article on the DR Performance Shooting site!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a subject that I almost forgot about. I used to power lift in competition and knew that taking time off would improve and repair the physical and mental part of the game. Thanks Dave for reminding me on this vital part of the serious shooters game!

catfish said...

I take every November off. Don't touch a gun except for carry purposes....

Go to the gym just enough to keep from gettin' really FAT! ;)

December time comes and it's time to rock and roll, baby!!

Unknown said...

You know now that you say this, I have a great idea. I have not worked on my mental game at all. I will use this 2 months in the desert to work with my fitness level and build my brain back up a bit.

DaveRe said...

I've tried to stress to folks that the mental side of the game should really be considered a primary skill, just like draws, reloads, movement, etc. At some point, being a superman with the basic skills only gets you so far without your head being on straight ;)

I've got a review in the works for my favorite mental game book - stay tuned....