Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Are you a gunsmith?


I mean, really... Are you? I'm not. I'm fairly handy with tools - even the dreaded Dremel. I can read plans and specs, and I have a pretty mechanical mind, so I can grasp how most of our competition guns actually work internally. But when it comes to taking a set of parts and making a properly working, accurate, reliable firearm out of them, I know better than to delude myself about my abilities.

What's had me curious lately is the seeming large number of folks who think they are gunsmiths... Oh, they don't run around telling people that they're gunsmiths or anything like that... What they do seem to do, though, is to decide how a gun should be built, and then they go tell some 'smith to do it their way.

Hit the DR Performance Shooting main site for some thoughts on building guns, the insanity we impose upon our gunsmiths, and the side effects we can introduce in doing so...

4 comments:

catfish said...

You shoot a 12 MOA dot?? That sounds freaking huge!

I think of the Open guns I've played with, the dot's between 6 and 8 MOA, and even the 8 seemed bigish to me on smaller plates at distance...

But then again, I shoot a skinny gun. ;)

DaveRe said...

Long story why, but, yeah... I shoot with a small sun in my scope ;)

catfish said...

So, where do you put the dot on small, distant steel?

DaveRe said...

Where else? Right smack dab in the middle. A 12 MOA dot covers 6" at 50 yards - I've never ever seen an 8" plate at 50 in USPSA competition, but the dot would effectively cover it. At 50, my gun is sighted in to be a couple of inches high, so I'd put the top edge of the dot in the middle of the plate... ;)

This is really no different than shooting a wide front sight on an iron sighted gun - something that has proven to be highly usable and accurate for many people (including Olympic shooters)...