Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Into the Breach...

Still wondering how fitness is important to this shooting sport? At the 2008 Area 1 Championship, we got a solid demonstration of why having a broad, general, inclusive fitness program is an important part of any well rounded shooting program.

Stage designer Chuck Anderson threw us a curve ball on stage 9 in the form of a Breaching Technologies, Inc. Ram Breaching Door. Check out the vid - a few comments follow on the DR Performance Shooting main site...

4 comments:

Michael Gregory said...

Great explanation Dave. Video was quality to. We need to hit a course and shoot some rounds one of these day.

catfish said...

I couldn't agree more!! My only advice to you would be to put more wieght on your back foot at the start and then jump forward, using all your body's momentum and not just your upper body.

I provide this video as evidence of what I am sayin'. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjwWRei92-8

DaveRe said...

Derrick... what kinda weenie ram was that you were using? :D You missed the point, I think - you don't want to just use upper body. The power all comes from the hips and legs.... ;) The effect is the same as what you describe - you drive off the back foot, and follow through as if you're going to shove the ram through the door... ;)

catfish said...

That was some home made gizmo that the guys at Tiger Valley built.

I'll have to watch your vid again, it looked to me like you were driving more off your front foot than the rear, but then again, my AC is not working at the house and I'm not paying a lot of attention right now....